Introduction for Autoethnography
This project is based on the autoethnography that I have learned through this semester. Ellis, Adams, and Bochner (2011) defined autoethnography as an approach to research and writing that seeks to describe and systematically analyse personal experience in order to understand cultural experience. Also, they mentioned the autoethnographer can reach wider mass audiences by producing accessible texts, which can make personal and social change possible for more people.
So what I aim for leaning/gaining the autoethnography is:
- Putting myself in the right position and analyse the object
- Informing what I have got to the others
Introduction for DA
This project is aiming for understanding what cosmetic surgery culture in South Korea is as well as how the culture is accepted by the audience. To gain the facts of its culture, the autoethnographic approach is conducted.
The DA has these main contents:
- About what cosmetic surgery is
- Its definition, main types of cosmetic surgeries, the reasons why people who get cosmetic surgeries, which are referred by academic sources
- Connecting cosmetic surgery with South Korean by using both my personal experiences and public information that are on the Internet
- One example for this project
- My ID is Gangnam Beauty is used due to its contents
- Personal reflections for the drama using collecting my own notes
- Cosmetic Surgery in Japan
- What Japanese think about cosmetic surgery. This information is based on academic sources and what I have heard from people actually.
- One Japanese movie that is related to cosmetic surgery that can give an angle on how the Japanese think about cosmetic surgery.
- My epiphanies
- They are based on my experiences to reflect my experiences by watching the drama.
- Some academic sources are used to support/highlight my epiphanies.
Methodology: Data collection
To collect my feelings and thoughts about what I watch the drama, a data collection method is necessary. This approach is inspired by the Live-Tweeting activity that was conducted in the first four weeks at the tutorial time.
The data collection is:
- The summary of what I experience through the drama
- They are based on my personal thoughts
Once I collect my feelings and thoughts, I use those my reflection for analysing why I felt and thoughts and what facts/causes make me think so.
What I have to pay attention to at this stage :
- Not determining whether the culture is right or not
- Not making my thoughts change and lying
Prezi is for presenting for my project.
What the Prezi has:
- Text – any information that is related to the project and they have notes to tell where the information comes from
- Images – all of the attached images are for making the audience understand what the slides want to tell
- Movie – the attached YouTube video is able to introduce the content
There are three main conclusion points after conducting this project.
- For autoethnographic research
- This is very useful and worth doing
- Being able to analyse with an objective eye
- Possible to expand my own perspective
- For cosmetic surgery culture
- Having both positive and negative opinions but no need to decide on one
- Different opinions to get cosmetic surgery with two countries South Korea and Japan
- SNS can be the one cause
- For my epiphanies
- Being able to acknowledge the facts of what I feel/think
- Academic sources demonstrate my personal reflection with evidences
What I would like to conclude as the summary of the whole project is the importance of acceptance of each other. I never deny cosmetic surgery, however, some potential reasons for cosmetic surgery are made by the people who judge others by their appearance. As I reported in my DA, sticking appearance can decrease self-esteem and SNS can give wrong information to the audience. If we have the perspective that everyone has a different identity and no one can involve them, the number of people who suffer will be decreased.
- BetterHealthChannel 2019, Cosmetic procedures, BetterHealthChannel viewed 2 November 2020, <https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/cosmetic-surgery>
- Deutz, M, Lansu, T & Cillessen, A 2014, ‘Children’s Observed Interactions With Best Friends: Associations With Friendship Jealousy and Satisfaction’, Social Development, vo.24, viewed 8 November 2020, <https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/sode.12080>
- Ellis, C, Adams, T.E, and Bochner, A.P 2011, ‘Autoethnography: An Overview’, Forum: Qualitative Social Research, no. 1, viewed 6 August 2020, <https://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/article/view/1589/3095>
- Hiroko, K 2013, ‘Cosmetic Surgery and the “Ordinary Me”’, Hiroko KAWAZOE, 29 January, viewed 2 November 2020, <https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/57983071/cosme_surg_chap4_18oct.pdf?1544662878=&response-content-disposition=inline%3B+filename%3DCosmetic_Surgery_and_the_Ordinary_Me_cha.pdf&Expires=1604665723&Signature=AlFU-n3rXghCFJOgOUNguUOvE3xU13vDl4maRc7-N~yZQ-bBuClxJYCLKIIeplS6FIE8~9e~hyJkHu~f9xTJwByM9XJdZnhU-txKGTVIgg7gQ-HUzk0jWPEVnVcEaoA3Fgw0SU8RvuT~Ffy0mP1OTTZI1xDGZ7557xYISNSfOdg8-zV-KePtdpUFjsb1NDCIC2pg497IcMGWoKpEBxRBDUNUFdzTB0wTP1Rb17~sWo2O4b3TlApIStV5UUhzJ6qey5dGIs11i6bkwGf7TmAA71celj7biOw2GnW5~hLVt~RmK8fy-hWC6eq1bTKJqYEK9nhKp9Xmjqz9lzw0ex9DbQ__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA>
- Hwang, J E 2020, ‘Media, Cosmetic Surgery and Aspirational Beauty Aesthetics of the Ageing Body in South Korea’, Asian Studies Review, viewed 29 October 2020, <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10357823.2020.1736513?scroll=top&needAccess=true>
- Jacobs, H 2018, ‘People have the wrong idea about the 3 most popular procedures in South Korea, the plastic surgery capital of the world’, BUSINESS INSIDER AUSTRALIA, 29 June, viewed 2 November 2020, <https://www.businessinsider.com.au/south-korea-plastic-surgery-gangnam-biggest-misconception-2018-6?r=US&IR=T>
- Latham, M 2012, ‘Cosmetic Surgery’, Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics, viewed 2 November 2020, <https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123739322003252>
- My ID is Gangnam Beauty 2018, My ID is Gangnam Beauty, online video, viewed 28 October 2020, <https://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=81030026>
- Netflix Philippines 2018, My ID is Gangnam Beauty, online video, viewed 28 October 2020, <https://youtu.be/pBwTLwHzV8I>
- Ozimek, P & Bierhoff, H 2019, ‘All my online-friends are better than me – three studies about ability-based comparative social media use, self-esteem, and depressive tendencies’, Behaviour & Information Technology, vo. 39, viewed 8 November 2020, <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0144929X.2019.1642385>
- Pillai, L 2018, ‘My ID Is Gangnam Beauty Review: What’s Wrong With Plastic?’, FEMINISM IN INDIA, 13 November, viewed 6 November 2020, <https://feminisminindia.com/2018/11/13/my-id-is-gangnam-beauty-review/>
- Walker, CE, Krumhuber, EG, Dayan, S & Furnham, A 2019, ‘Effects of social media use on desire for cosmetic surgery among young women’, Current Psychology, viewed 29 October 2020, <Effects of social media use on desire for cosmetic surgery among young women>
- Wong, K J 2018, ‘No More Taboo: Discursive tactics for navigating the taboo of cosmetic surgery’, Global Media and China, vol. 3, viewed 29 October 2020, <https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2059436418816649>
Reference for Image:
- AESTHETICALLURE 2020,Needle vs. Cannula, image, AESTHETICALLURE, viewed 6 November 2020, <cannula-1160×700.jpg>
- amazon prime video 2018, My ID is Gangnam Beauty, image, amazon prime video, viewed 8 November 2020, <71kqUU5QbqL._RI_.jpg>
- Brandonk 2017, For Those Looking to Get Plastic Surgery… Know What You Are Getting Into and Don’t Trust the ‘Cosmetic Surgery’ Label, image, steemit, viewed 6 November 2020, <Screen-Shot-2017-04-26-at-12.43.51-PM.png>
- Jeckson 2019, Plastic Surgery In South Korea: World’s Leading Cosmetic Surgery Destination., image, The Wow Style, viewed 6 November 2020, <Plastic-Surgery-1.jpg>
- Jessica 2018, My ID is Gangnam Beauty, image, Amino Webtoon, viewed 6 November 2020, <5233a0b21f04938e40177e02129d6ef93e2ba558r1-384-384v2_00.jpg>
- Le delano 2016,I turn back to the mirror, staring at my own eyes as they reflect back to me, image, Le delano, viewed 8 November 2020, <girlmirrorlg.jpg>
- Lettrboxd 2020, Helter Skelter, image, Letterboxd, viewed 6 November 2020, <xLblSyhe4qSbYM5vGLC6yCn332E-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg>
- Netflix 2018, My ID is Gangnam Beauty, image, Netflix, viewed 6 November 2020, <AAAABRcIicWIH8w4Dbid4bN2cON0OrCYbGbe6vNB6syvABNJE4iRAQolotyDvQwgF1Rr25E4JHU2RGjh5cOYODI6PdPGhLPWqWSno-yPsYk5DlVcg1Et.jpg>
- PROMISES BEHAVIOURAL HEALTH 2020, Depression in High School, image, PROMISES BEHAVIOURAL HEALTH, viewed 8 November 2020, <depression-in-high-school.jpeg>
- Shinjuku Plastic surjery Hospitals 2020,Facial aesthetics, image, Shinjuku Plastic surjery Hospitals, viewed 6 November 2020, <pro-g0.jpg>
- Retailworks Inc 2020, Social Media Sized, image, Retailworks Inc, viewed 8 November 2020, <Social-Media-Sized.jpg>
- We Xpacts Guide 2020, Beauty Enhancement: Brief Background to Plastic Surgery Industry of Japan, image, We Xpacts Guide, viewed 6 November 2020, <en_161_4.jpg>